Print Super User Duties (FAQ)

Every printer/MFD on campus has a designated super user in the department. This person is the primary contact with our vendor, LRI, and is responsible for training users in their area, performing front line troubleshooting, replacing and recycling toner and other duties. See below for information to help super users perform this role.

What if there's an issue with my printer/MFD?

First check to see if the machine needs toner, has a paper jam, or other obvious maintenance needed (see directions below and user guide attached at the right). If it's still not working, contact LRI at:

Phone: 888-332-4014

There's an identification number along with the contact information on a sticker on the device. See example below:
LRI Contact sticker example

How do I remove a paper jam/diagnose any issues?

Refer to the Xerox user guide attached at the right. Paper jams and other general issues are covered in the Troubleshooting section.

  • Xerox printers provide alert messages on the control panel when an error or warning condition occurs.
  • Be sure to make note of any error codes or messages you see in case you need to contact LRI for support.

How do I change the toner/waste toner container?

See the video on how to change the toner below:

See the video on how to change the waste container below:

Watch other Xerox support videos.

Where do I get additional supplies including toner, staples, and waste toner containers?

The machine automatically monitors when supply levels are low. To avoid printing interruptions, order these items when the alert messages appear on the control panel. It is a good idea to keep an extra supply on hand. Refer to the user guide for replacement instructions in addition to the video links provided in this article.
Toner: LRI’s system will monitor supply levels and auto-ship a new toner cartridge as needed. Contact LRI to make sure the toner is on order. Keep extra toner cartridges on hand for high-volume machines.
Waste Containers: LRI cannot monitor when waste containers need replacement. A message will appear on the control panel indicating that the container is almost full. Contact LRI to order a new waste container if you do not have a spare on hand.
Staples: Staple cartridge orders will be expensed to the centralized printing budget. When you contact LRI to place an order, use blanket PO# DrakeStaples. The cost for other consumable supplies is included in our LRI maintenance contract.

Phone: 888-332-4014

Be sure to include machine ID number, model, and shipping address.

Where do I get paper?

Paper is ordered through Drake's Office Depot business account. Special rates have been negotiated and there are standard guidelines to use eco-conscious supplies (FSC Certified or recycled content). Paper on the Managed Print shopping list is charged to a centralized budget. If you need to order paper not on this shopping list, please expense it to your departmental budget.

  • From the Office Depot home page, click on the Shopping List menu option.
  • In the search field, type "managed print" to filter to the correct paper list.
  • The list includes white copy paper in letter, legal, and ledger sizes. A variety of color paper options in letter size are also available.

What if there's an issue with print cards or FOAPAL exceptions?

Please submit a Printing FOAPAL Exception request in the IT service portal.

Where do I find out about any printing changes or outages?

ITS posts our updates on our ITS website and our IT service portal, as well in the weekly OnCampus newsletter.

  • Opt in to receive outage notifications by texting DrakeITS2021 to phone number 226787. You first need to be signed up to receive Bulldog Alerts by text. Check your Bulldog Alerts Settings in myDrake.
  • On Twitter? Follow us @DrakeITServices
What do I do if the super user changes?

ITS will maintain a super user contact list that is shared with LRI. Email Elissa Johnson or Alicia Mann in ITS to report a super user change.


Article ID: 136701
Tue 8/10/21 9:32 AM
Thu 8/19/21 2:51 PM